Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Policia, bribes, potholes,and more!

actually less...  Left Tampico this morning at 7:30am, determined to make it to Veracruz, about a 300 mile ride.  But therein lies the essence of Mexico.  One can bang their head for hours with determination, which is what I spent the better part of my day doing, or you can find mucho tranquilo in simply being with the space your moving through, and allow for whatever comes your way.  So I did. But it took me a long time to get there, (tranquil, that is).  Here is a self-portrait in the midst of "determination" and head banging...

I arrived in Tuxpan, Mexico, just 125 miles from Tampico, at 3:30pm.  Major road construction, potholes as big as a house, a police officer who kindly shared that he would not write me a ticket for not wearing a helmet, if I paid him cash, (I broke out the throw away wallet with just a couple of bucks in it and pled the ignorant gringo routine, which I am, so wasn't too difficult). Cost me $10. US dollars, he shook my hand and off I went.  In retrospect, I wished I had given him more; the Policia clearly don't have the budget Police have in the States. His Suziki sounded like a cylinder was going to pop right through the head, his holster looked like something you would purchase for your child for Cowboy day at kindergarten, and it swallowed up his entire gun. I could see it bouncing around as he moved about my bike checking out all the "chroma".  
But got-dam! 125 miles?!  At this rate I wont get to Guatemala 'till 2010! After one of the most exhausting days on the road, I found the sweet spot after scouring around in the city for a hotel.
Unfortunately, this site isnt letting me load any more pic's right now...  bummer.  I had quite a few to share from this day.  I will try again soon.
Peace out!!

4 comments:

  1. KEEP IT SAFE BROTHER, AND REMEMBER TO THANK THE MAN UPSTAIRS AT THE END OF EACH DAY, FOR THE BEAUTY AROUND U AND YOUR SAFTEY

    LOVE YA BRO
    RICK

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Brother-Man!
    It's great to hear from you! You are right and I am doing my best to kick out the good vibe to everyone and the Universe itself, everyday. So far it's been paying me back ten-fold. I have met incredible people and travelled beautiful roads.
    The HD is holding strong!
    Will talk to you again soon!
    Peace and Love to you Rick and take good care of yourself!

    ReplyDelete
  3. GLAD TO KNOW , ALL IS GOING WELL. WAS HOPING TO SEE A FEW MORE DIGITAL PICS. THE ONES FROM MEXICO, THEY R BREATH TAKING. U ARE ON A TRIP OF A LIFE TIME. I WOULD OF GAVE ANYTHING TO MAKE THAT TRIP WITH YA. MUCH LOVE BROTHER. HOPE TO HEAR FROM YOU SOON.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's not to late... I probably wont be crossing the border into Guat. 'till January! You could be here in a week...
    The pic's of the Mayan ruins in Palenque do not do justice to the space. There was an intense emotional feeling that came by simply being there. Cant quite put my finger on it but suppose it centers on just being humbled.
    When you view those pictures, imagine them being stuccoed in blood red,( Rojas), and bright blue, (Azul). (Much like the colors in the fence line pic in my recent post). The area dates back to 500 - 800. When the Mayans left, (or were forced out by the Spaniards), It was overtaken by the jungle, and I think only re-discovered in the 1960's.
    Descendants of the Mayans still live here, speaking almost 16 different ancient languages, nothing like Spanish.
    Come on down, the weather is fine!

    ReplyDelete