Monday, December 22, 2008

Lago Atitlan and surrounds

The following shot isn't much to look at but there is a bit of a story behind it. For the last ten years or so, I have been shooting pictures with a theme I have come to call, "life in the spaces in-between". I have a thousand, or more, images of life in alley's, lean-to's along various rivers, and other nooks and crannies where the mainstream normally don't tend to travel. Anyways, in taking these kinds of shots, there are usually a few surprises happened upon. In this shot, I had to hop over the edge of what I think was like a retaining wall along the edge of a cliff. I saw a very old man, pulling feathers from some kind of bird on the stoop. I didn't think he saw me but as I pulled up my camera to view, he put the bird down and started spitting out what had to be some harsh expletives my way. He was obviously pissed. I said, "Yo lo siento, yo puedo a fotographica? (which I think means "I am sorry, can I take a picture"?). He just walked directly into his crib as I was asking the question. I didn't stick around to see if he was going to return with a gun, but I did manage to take this pic. I think I scared him more than anything else. My bad.
I guess that wasnt much of a story after all, huh? Not much of a photo either but here it is anyways...

Purty Lago Atitlan pic...

Sunday was market day. All the villages that hang from the cliffs around the lake sell their goods. I am betting that the wise woman in this pic has some stories to tell. I an hopeful that at some point I will be able to sit down and actually have some semblance of a conversation with the locals here...

Here is a shot of the three volcano's that surround Lake Atitlan... (they are no longer active).

They have cats here too...

Hows about these apples??

I sat watching this scene for about thirty minutes while in a small village across
View Larger Map">Lago Atitlan from Panajachel, Guatemala. I almost missed the panga back across the lake because I couldn't pull myself away. The woman in the photo simply sat there the entire time.


Thought the Majicman might appreciate this photo?
Want to rent a canoe? I didnt either but they had lots of character, though am not necessarily sure thats the main feature I am looking for in a canoe....

On the move...

Three Amigos...

The town is beautiful but definitely for tourists. Getting across the lake helps. I will post more pictures and more tales from the Hog In Motion, soon. Hope your all getting to spend some time together for the Christmas celebration. Happy Birthday Jesus.
Parting shot from the market at San Marcos...

PEACE.

3 comments:

  1. THE 3 AMIGOS,, GREAT. THE VIEWS ARE JUST FANTASTIC BRO. I AM TRUELY GLAD THINGS SEEM TO BE GOING GOOD 4 U. LOOKS LIKE YOU ARE THE TALLEST PERSON AT THE OUTDOOR MARKET. THIS IS TURELY A TRIP U WILL NEVER FORGET BRO..I THANK YOU, FOR ALLOWING US TO SHARE IT WITH YOU. BEING ABLE TO SEE THE BEAUTY OF THIS WORLD FIRST HAND , AND THE MANY CULTURES OF THIS LAND, IS BREATH TAKING..THE PICS OF THE SHORE LINE ARE PICS MOST WILL ONLY SEE ON TV AND ON PAPER. MAY YOU CONTINUE TO BE SHOWERED WITH MANY BLESSINGS , BRO , ON YOUR JOURNEY. I WISH YOU THE BEST FOR THE COMING HOLIDAYS. YOU ARE IN MY THOUGHTS. I WILL BE LOOKING FORWARD TO ADDITIONS TO YOUR BLOG SOON. MERRY CHRISTMAS BROTHER...

    TAKE CARE

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am telling you, this part of the world is NOT made for anyone over 5"5'. and don't even try to find a pair of sandals for a size 13. It aint gonna happen. Guess I will have to continue on with what I have; my plastic Croc's, which have quite a few miles on 'em already.
    Am hearing some tales of highway jacks and armed robberies going down pretty frequently in and near Guatemala. Guess Christmas cheer here translates to ez Christmas pickings for some punks. So I decided to hunker down here for this week and hit the road early next week. I am also going to go around Guatemala City, then ride every day 'till I get to Costa Rica, and get my bike serviced there. They have been great about keeping in contact with me via e-mail.
    Yesterday, I washed the bike, checked the oil, and rolled the beast back and forth inspecting the belt and tires. The belt, from what I could see, looks brand new as does the wheel it wraps around. No nicks, cuts or anything. The oil isn't black yet either, which was a surprise. Tires look fine, just added a few pounds of air. So think the 700 mile ride to Costa Rica should be ok, (knock on wood and a shout out to St. Christoper)!

    ReplyDelete
  3. HEY J.B.G
    HANGING OUT THERE FOR A WEEK, SOUNDS LIKE A VERY GOOD IDEA. I WAS TOLD ABOUT THE THUGS IN THEM POVERTY STRICKEN PARTS OF THE WORLD, FROM A CHAT I HAD WITH ONE FRIEND ON THE JOB FROM MEXICO. GOOD MOVE BRO. JUST A LITTLE ADVISE, REGARDING AIR PRESSURE IN YOUR TIRES. I ASSUME THE CLIMATE IS FAIRLY HOT THERE WHICH EXPANDS THE PRESSURE IN YOUR TIRES WHEN YOU HIT THE ROAD. IF YOU ARE RUNNING MAX PRESSURE , IN THE HEAT IT CAN ADD 10 MORE POUNDS OF PRESSURE AS THE TIRES HEAT UP. I WOULD RUN 5 POUNDS UNDER RECOMENDED PRESSURE WHEN DEALING WITH HOT CLIMATES. SOUNDS GOOD THE OIL SEEMS CLEAN. KEEP UP ON THE OIL ,TRANS FLUID ,AIR CLEANER AND U SHOULD BE GOOD TO GO. NICE PICS AGAIN.. POOR OLD MAN,, MAY HAVE THOUGHT HE WAS BEING INVADED, BY THE WHITE MAN. SEEING A SIX + FT MAN CONFRONTING HIM REQUESTING PICS, FREAKED HIM OUT.. LOL. WELL BRO, YOU TAKE CARE AND BE SAFE. HOPE TO HEAR FROM YOU SOON AGAIN. SENDING SOME LOVE YOUR WAY.

    ReplyDelete