Monday, December 29, 2008

HOG-ing the roads...

Here are two links to maps showing the route the HOG has taken. The first is from Denver, CO to Sonsonate, El Salvador...
Route to Sonsonate, El Salvador
The following map shows the roads traveled from Sonsonate, El Salvador to my current location, in San Miguel, El Salvador
Including the side trips from the cities of Palenque and San Cristabol de las Casas, in Mexico, and 'Xela and Panajachel, in Guatemala, the HOG's odometer is showing 3653 miles as it rests in the parking lot of a Comfort Inn.
No really, a COMFORT INN, right here in good 'ole San Miguel, El Salvador. I splurged for the digs tonight, $40.00 US. It has Air-con and all the typical luxuries you would expect from a nice Comfort Inn anywhere in the USA. In comparison, yesterday, (in Ahuachapan), I spent 18.00 US for two big meals, 2 bottles of water, and shelter, which has been my typical spending in Central America to date.
Here is a pic of the shower head in the digs at El Mirador, in Ahuachapan...
This set-up provides two ways to get a hot shower... Let the water run for about an hour through the heating element on the shower head, or simply turn on the water, jump in, and touch the live wires above it! If you ever find yourself in Central America, and the Hotel proclaims, "Hot Showers", ask them exactly how this happens.
Sorry, for the digression. Here are some pics of the backroads coming out of Panajachel enroute to Antigua, Guatemala. This pic was taken above Lago Atitlan, (also shown in the previous post), as I was climbing up and around the Volcanoes opposite the one your looking at. (If you look to the lower right hand side of this pic, you can see the road the HOG climbed for some perspective).
HOG at rest above Lago Atitlan...
On the way to the border of El Salvador, I met several youngsters, diggin the HOG...
I met these kiddo's at the unfortunate scene of a tragedy. The truck and the car beneath it were still smoldering upon my arrival...Quote of the Day: "I don't know where I am going but I sure hope to when I get there".
Hope all of you are well. I will post some pic's of (Swiss)-Antigua, Guatemala soon!

3 comments:

  1. LOOKING GOOD BRO. WOW THE SMILES YOU HAVE PUT ON THEM YOUNGSTERS FACES, CAN'T BE COMPARED. SEEMS YOU AND THE BIKE WERE CENTER OF ATTENION, AMONG THE TRAGGIC DESRTUCTION IN ONE OF THE PICS. SO U HAVE OVER 3K ON THE BIKE NOW WOW. I C THAT SHOWER HEAD AT MOTEL , LOL. LOOKS DEADLY.NICE PICS . KEEP SENDING THEM. BE SAFE , AND TAKE CARE. HAPPY NEW YEAR BROTHER :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Was up Bro? Thanks for the good word. I woke up to a rear flat tire this morning, plugged it and aired it up, took if for a spin. it's still holding air from when I plugged it this am so will see what happens. Am going to shoot for Costa Rica, about a four or five day ride depending upon the time it takes to get across three borders. I could stay here and order another tire but it would be 7-10 days and I am just not down with that. Also, I had the chrome dash spray painted black before I left. He also spray painted the interior where the gas cap is located. Well guess what? It's peeling now, probably from gas spillage, so am going to go scrape it all out before it gets into my tank and fuel filter. I am glad this all happened here at the Comfort Inn and not out in the middle of nowhere. Good luck 'eh? Must have come from the good wishes from you and Kelsey!
    You still got snow up there?
    Take good care and talk to you soon!

    ReplyDelete
  3. HEY BRO,
    YEH , WE HAVE SNOW. WANT SOME, LOL. HAPPY NEW YEAR TO YOU. I'M GONNA PUT A FEW STEAKS, SOME SAUSAGE AND SHRIMP ON THE OUTSIDE GRILL TONIGHT, FOR NEW YEARS EVE DINNER. DAUGHTER SHANNON AND HER KIDS ARE COMING OVER.KELSEYS BEEN IN TEXAS SINCE DECEMBER 22ND AND IS TO RETURN JAN 5TH. WE WILL DO THE CHRISTMAS THING TOGETHER WHEN SHE RETURNS, SINCE I WAS UNABLE TO BE WITH HER ON CHRISTMAS.THE TUBE VIDEO WAS NICE. BOB SEGERTS SONG (NIGHT MOVES) WOULD HAVE BEEN COOL FOR THAT VIDEO... YEH IF YOU GET THE CHANCE , GET A NEW TIRE. A PLUGGED TIRE ON A BIKE NOT GOOD. I TALKED TO KATHY AND TOM TODAY . THINGS SEEM TO BE GOING OK. JUST KEEP THEM IN YOUR THOUGHTS AND PRAYERS. I ALSO TALKED TO LINDA THEY ARE DOING GOOD. I DISCUSSED YOUR TRAVELS AND BLOG . EVERYONE ENJOYS THE PICS AND YOUR WRITINGS. LINDA ASKED FOR YOUR BLOG PAGE. SO I SENT IT TO HER. YES, KELSEY WANTED TO SEND A COMMENT TO HER UNCLES PAGE. MY 2 DAUGHTERS ARE A TRUE BLESSING. WELL BRO, TAKE CARE AND HOPE TO SEE MORE.......

    ReplyDelete