Saturday, March 14, 2009

When life hands you lemons...

You might as well have a margarita.
con arroz mariscos...
The HOG went into cardiac arrest on Thursday morning as I left Managua, Nicaragua for the Costa Rica border. After tearing apart the throttle on the side of the road in an attempt to wake her up, I realized that we were going to have to limp back to the closest HD dealer, in Managua, now about 50 miles back. So we did. At 20 miles per hour for 50 miles. Longest twenty miles ever.
Over the next two days and several unsuccessful attempts to fix the problem, I got to know these Nica hermanos really well. We spent Friday night celebrating the final fix. Theses guys stuck around 'till just about 9pm in the evening to make it happen. Great people. I cant say enough about my brothers at this HD dealership. They were determined to get a fix and tore into the bike thoughtfully and purposefully. They also let me hang out in the shop with them the whole time, so I learned quite a bit. (Try and see if that will ever happen in the States!)
Anywho, I am about a half an hour away from the Costa Rica border now watching the sun set over the Pacific saluting all of you. Salud!
I have secured an apartment in the mountain town of Heredia, Costa Rica. It's about a twenty minute ride from the big city of San Jose. I will arrive in Heredia tomorrow early afternoon, assuming the border crossing goes smoothly, and move in immediately. Will spend the next month here, minimum, to look at some potential business, work opportunities and to also just get to know some folks. The HOG has been on the road just about every day since November 28th of 2008. She has carried me almost 15000 miles. I suppose she is due some rest. I look forward to paying some more attention to all of you from afar and to also get to know a beautiful city here in Costa Rica. (If you can, please come visit, the apartment has two bedrooms)!
Oh, before I forget; Because mi hermano felt so strongly about Che', this parting shot is for you. Te Amo hermano!Paz.

2 comments:

  1. Hey You whats up. Glad you were able to hit the road again. Nice pics. Just wanted to send some love your way and hope all works out for you there. Take care brother.........God bless

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey JB,

    By now you should be in Costa Rica. Sorry to hear about all the bike problems but like you said it always seems to work for you. Lots of people praying for a peaceful, successful journey, so I'm not surprised. The pics were wonderful, keep them coming. Let me know when you want me to send the maps. I'm heading out to Milwaukee this week for a few days before my next chemo. Will be looking forward to more posts. Love you lots. KoolKat

    ReplyDelete